March 26, 2007

Mitt Romney - prolific polituber but needs substance

Decided I needed to branch out and take a peek at some of the heavy hitters out there so let’s pick on Mitt Romney this time. What do I know about him? Let's see,... I know he led the Salt Lake City Olympics and I heard that they were the first well-run, I think even profitable Olympics we've ever had - a definite plus in my book. I remember seeing him during the ceremonies and thinking he was a poised, intelligent and stately man – also a plus. I like the idea of a savvy poised businessman running our country. Our country should be run like a well-oiled machine. I’m not here to Bush-bash at all but compare Romney against Bush from a “poised” perspective, well, you can just see the visual.

I just took a very quick peek at his YouTube video repertoire since it seemed pretty "prolific". He has 65 videos posted to his official YouTube campaign site. Now keep in mind that YouTube heavy-hitter Obama has 24. Given that there is no way I'm going to sift through 65 videos, I clicked around and found that a mighty large portion of them are I'm guessing politicians doing the Mitt Romney love-fest thing. That's all well and good but unless I'm having these guys over for Sunday dinner, I'm not just going to assume if they think he's great so should I. He also has a good chunk of videos from his vast array of news interviews he's done (many from Fox which unfortunately is a bit of a minus for me since they tend to be a little on the "dramatic" side).

Again, I know nothing about how this should get done but speaking from the gut, instead of blasting all of these videos out there (many hardly get any views at all, somebody this famous should be getting some VIEWS no?), wouldn't it be somehow refreshing if one day while he's in his little flannel button-down PJ's and a cup of coffee, he gets on his laptop with his built-in Web Cam and just says, "Hey America, this is my take on such and such". Just a little heart-to-heart with some real substance. So OK, realistically, maybe not exactly this scenario, not sure if I want footage of our future president in his PJ's at the next World Summit of course, but you get the idea.

Take this video for example. This is one of his official YouTube videos and it seems to be one of his most viewed, that's not saying it's the best, most popular etc. But whatever, I'm guessing one of the reasons for the viewership is that it's not just a CNN interview news replay or one of his cronies asking us to vote for him. It's his response to a dicey situation when an ancient video of a debate with Ted Kennedy he had 13 years ago surfaced. Now I don’t actually agree with some (most) of his beliefs that he covers. But what I could appreciate was his candid and brave response to some truly SAUCY issues.

So maybe next time, loose the 1980’s phone, get a headset, and every once in a while, take a peek at the “Web cam” and let us feel you’re reaching us (but um, maybe next time pick some slightly less salty topics too. I know they’re important, but to me Presidents are here to run our complex country and properly represent our global leadership role, we’ll take care of the nuclear family on our own thank you, just please trust us …).

Here, what do you think?


No comments: