March 22, 2007

President McDreamy's Cancer News Conference

Just thought of a funny skit John Stewart from The Daily Show should do. It's horribly crass since it is based on John and Elizabeth Edwards' announcement today about her cancer. Probably too touchy of a subject buuut well, couldn't resist.

John Edwards News Conference regarding Elizabeth's Cancer


I lost my mom to cancer as a young teen, went through four years of remission roller coaster hell and unfortunately things did not work out. So yes, truly, my heart goes out to the family. It's certainly a defining moment in their lives and I can only sincerely wish them the best.

I'm one of those wishy-washy middle America mom's that is both a Republican and a Democrat. Yes let's take care of our kids and the sick but let me keep my money thank you very much. So I truly don't have a strong opinion on which candidate I would vote for at this point. But today's press conference called by the John Edwards campaign on Wednesday night mindyou... well, let's just say it left a decent amount of suspicion in me on their handling of this topic.

I'm trying to go through their thought process... She goes in Monday morning with a suspicious pain, gets scared to death, summons John home, they go through the necessary test, get them back UNBELIEVABLY FAST by the way (not that this is suspicious, just funny, I'm still waiting for some lab results taken 3 weeks ago...) find out that though things are not necessarily good, they could be worse... "HEY, I have an idea, let's call a press party together, invite our zillion friends over and announce this to the world! That's a fine idea indeed."

I don't know, me... I would have taken say, the WEEKEND at least to simmer on things see how it pans out... Maybe send a press release about it, no doubt the media would have still picked up the story and it would have done them just as good, but a major news conference!? Somehow, it didn't seem like the appropriate and discreet venue for this.

Somewhere though, some Desperate Housewife in middle America (I can say this, because I'm one of them, kinda...) is swooning over President McDreamy and his pure adoration for his lovely wife. She's probably thinking (in a Southern drawl - I can say that too, I'm from Texas)... "That's just so special. Isn't he just pure and good? Look at him, so strong and normal and white , a real man I tell ya... kinda cute too, tee hee. That Chapel Hill story of their wedding reception (birds chirp), I can just picture it now, lovely white dress, little children running around, they really are strong people aren't they? Sigh....Well I'll tell you Freda, they sure got my vote!".

Edwards is then (with a reeeeeallly heavy drawl now) "Well if we can't be strong through what life brings us, than we couldn't be President now could we? So uh, we'll get through this folks and oh, while I have ya'll here - Vote for me! Thank you..."

I don't know, it seemed sensational-milking to me. He lost some street cred in my book.

No comments: